An exemplary teacher

My students usually ask what my profession is. The usual answer, which is what I identify with the most, is “engineer as profession and teacher by vocation.” If there is something that I really enjoy in life it is in helping children discover the enormous potential that they have, and become successful students and in the long run outstanding professionals.

Many times I have felt tenderly when some of my students, whom other people and even themselves told them that they were going to fail in school, tell me how they have changed and when they grow up they also want to be teachers to transform lives.

When the children ask me who my favorite teacher was, I usually talk about some of the unforgettable teachers that really marked my existence when I was a child. This is understandable since childhood is the stage at which teachers can more easily influence the training of their students

Today I want to tell you about another exemplary teacher who has impacted my life as an adult, who has been given a well-deserved recognition for her dedication to training teachers with a deep awareness of Social Justice. I am referring to Dr. Maria D. Viloria, my teacher in postgraduate courses at TAMIU.

I remember when I was going to take her course, I quickly read the syllabus and did not see it as particularly interesting. But when she started the class and began to talk about it being precisely us, the teachers, who can and should help combat inequality and social exclusion; that we must promote equal opportunities for the most disadvantaged social sectors, seek equity through education, promote respect for human rights and non-discrimination.

Dr. Viloria stressed to us that the main role of the teacher is to be a transforming element of society and recommended some readings from other really exemplary teachers, such as Sonia Nieto. Her class really became my favorite subject, and I began to eagerly buy books on that subject, which I really love.

From the trenches of the classroom, I share with my students this pleasant academic experience and I want to send a warm congratulation to my dear teacher, Dr. Maria D. Viloria, for this just recognition she has received.

Dr. Maria D. Viloria, assistant professor, TAMIU College of Education, received the Instructional Technology Excellence Award from the TAMIU Office of Institutional Technology.

Teacher of the Year Nominee – Professional Programs – 2017