Why study?

A truly moving exhortation

Often I tell my students to be diligent in their studies and to take advantage of this great opportunity they have to study because it is one of the best ways to succeed in life. I tell you that the future is built day by day with the decisions we make and the actions we take. Triumph is not chance; it is causality. It is the result of a lot of work accumulated over time, aimed at achieving our goals. I tell you that your current education is the foundation on which you will build your future opportunities for education, employment, and economic prosperity

Possibly I do it as I remember the words of my father who always insisted on the need to study to be able to get ahead. Dad always insisted that the best legacy a father can leave to his children is education. My experience in life has shown me the wisdom of his words.

Of all my classmates in elementary school, only a few finished our professional education, possibly less than 10%. When I meet with friends and colleagues of those years, I see the enormous economic difference and even health of those who studied for a career and those who did not.

Long ago in a meeting with parents and their children, I commented that many students did not do their homework, did not attend extra class tutoring and failed midterm exams not because of lack of ability, but because of the lack of discipline and perseverance required by their studies. They spent more time chatting or social networking or going out on dates, than studying. I commented that many of the students think that the main reason for attending school is to socialize and play on sports teams. In some cases, they only cared about passing their subjects so that they could play.

A mom stopped and asked to speak. He told his daughter and classmates the following:

“Not so long ago I was sitting like you, without any concern. By not putting interest in my studies I left the school without completing anything. I want to tell you that it is the biggest mistake I have ever made in life and that I regret every day. Referring to her daughter, she said: When I left school I got pregnant, and since you were born, I had to work, and I have not stopped doing it ever since. She exposed her arms and showed us all many small burns. I’m working on burgers and tacos, she said, I’m standing in front of the grill every day for more than 8 hours, without having a minute to sit down, I often burn my arms because a lot of small incidents happen in a commercial kitchen. My legs are varicose due to many hours standing at work. My salary has hardly increased in years, and I have very few satisfactions. But I repeat to myself: it’s worth it because my children have food and home and the opportunity to study.

Do not make my mistakes she told her daughter, study, study for a career and succeed; it is very difficult to earn a living if you do not have preparation.”

We were all silent, our eyes tearful at the honest and touching testimony of a mother, who for the first time commented on the daily sacrifice she made to get her children ahead.

I share this experience because many times we do not know the great sacrifice that parents make so that you can study and have an opportunity to overcome.