Barbara Bush, the wife of President George H.W. Bush and mother to President George W. Bush, died yesterday at the age of 92.
Barbara Bush was a long-time campaigner for social justice; she fought all her life to end discrimination and to eradicate illiteracy in America.
Rest in peace.
“You know, sit with your arm around a little kid and read. It not only teaches them to read but it keeps the family strong.” Barbara Bush
“Our death is not an end if we can live on in our children and the younger generation. For they are us, our bodies are only wilted leaves on the tree of life.”
The TAMIU Garden will be a place where inspiration buds, knowledge grows, and Dustdevil’s roots run deep. A green space made for unearthing and discovery- where we take learning and research further and creativeness blooms.
The TAMIU Garden will:
- Provide students with an opportunity to learn and share knowledge about food production
- Enrich lives by connecting students to the world of sustainability
- Educate students on the importance of community involvement
- Provide the Campus and Community with green space
- Be a source of food for TAMIU students and the Laredo Food Bank
Through service-learning and research experiences, students will connect with educational materials and grow!
The Early College High School provides students the opportunity to receive a high school diploma and two years of college credit (or an Associate degree), free. (The tuition of two years at college worth more than $28,000) Early college students are outperforming their peers nationwide, 90% graduate high school vs. 78% of students nationally; 94% earn free college credit while in high school.
Many of my former students could realize their dreams through the LISD Early College. You can also achieve the success you deserve.
Laredo Early College High School – Where dreams are ignited by the flames of knowledge.
Everyone faces roadblocks on the way to college. Watch videos of students who stayed focused and made it.
The Bottom Line
Nobody owes you living.
What you achieve or faiI to achieve in your lifetime
is directly related to what you do
or fail to do.
No one chooses his parents or childhood
but you choose your own direction.
Everyone has problems and obstacles to overcome
but that too is relative to each individual.
Nothing is carved in stone.
You can change anything in your life
if you want to badly enough.
Excuses are for losers.
Those who take responsibility for their actions
are the real winners in life.
Winners meet life’s challenges head on
knowing there are no guarantees
and give it all they’ve got.
It’s never too late or too early to begin.
Time play’s no favorites
and will pass whether you act or not.
Take control of your life.
Dare to dream and take risks.
If you aren’t willing to work for your goals,
don’t expect others to.
Believe in Yourself!
The “12 Rules for Raising Delinquent Children” was issued by the Houston, Texas, Police Department in a leaflet. They created this in the 1950’s, after they had made a study of juvenile delinquency.
- Begin with infancy to give the child everything he wants. In this way, he will grow up to believe the world owes him a living.
- When he picks up bad words, laugh at him. This will make him think he’s cute. It will also encourage him to pick up “cuter phrases” that will blow off the top of your head later.
- Never give him any spiritual training. Wait until he is 21, and then let him “decide for himself.”
- Avoid the use of the word “wrong.” It may develop a guilt complex. This will condition him to believe later when he is arrested for stealing a car, that society is against him and he is being persecuted.
- Pick up everything he leaves lying around – books, shoes, clothes. Do everything for him so that he will be experienced in throwing all responsibility on others.
- Let him read any printed matter he can get his hands on. Be careful that the silverware and drinking glasses are sterilized, but don’t worry about his mind feasting on garbage.
- Quarrel frequently in the presence of your children. In this way, they will not be too shocked when the home is broken up later.
- Give the child all the spending money he wants. Never let him earn his. Why should he have things as tough as you did?
- Satisfy his every craving for food, drink, and comfort. See that every sensual desire is gratified. Denial may lead to harmful frustration.
- Take his part against neighbors, teachers, policemen. They are all prejudiced against your child.
- When he gets into real trouble, apologize to yourself by saying, “I never could do anything with him!”
- Prepare yourself for a life of grief. You’ll surely have it.
“Decálogo para formar delincuentes”, por Emilio Calatayud
1. Comience desde la infancia dando a su hijo todo lo que le pida, así crecerá convencido de que el mundo entero le pertenece.
2. No le dé ninguna educación espiritual. Espere que alcance la mayoría de edad para que pueda decidir libremente.
3. Cuando diga palabrotas, ríaselas. Esto le animará a hacer más cosas graciosas.
4. No le regañe nunca ni le diga que está mal algo de lo que hace. Podría crearle complejo de culpabilidad.
5. Ordene todo lo que él deja tirado: libros, zapatos, ropa, juguetes,… Hágaselo todo. Así se acostumbrará a cargar la responsabilidad sobre los demás.
6. Déjele leer todo lo que caiga en sus manos. Cuide de que sus platos, cubiertos y vasos estén esterilizados, pero no le importe que su mente se llene de basura.
7. Dispute y riña a menudo con su cónyuge en presencia del niño. Así no se sorprenderá ni le dolerá demasiado el día en que la familia quede destrozada para siempre.
8. Dele todo el dinero que quiera gastar. No vaya a sospechar que para disponer de dinero es necesario trabajar.
9. Satisfaga todos sus deseos, apetitos, comodidades y placeres. El sacrificio y la austeridad podrían producirle frustraciones.
10. Póngase de su parte en cualquier conflicto que tenga con sus profesores, vecinos, etc. Piense que todos ellos tienen prejuicios contra su hijo y que de verdad lo que quieren es fastidiarle.
Siga los pasos al pie de la letra, ¡pero luego no se asuste de los resultados!