Don’t worry about the grade

“Don’t worry only about the grade. Focus on what you’re learning.”

It is usual that students and their parents worry about the grades obtained in the periodic assessments that are made in class. Somewhat they are more concerned how the student looks on paper, no matter really that much the student know and can do. The focus on results is to some degree understandable, but what really matters is the knowledge gained and the process of building  character and self-discipline in the children.

Students actually arrive at school to learn the skills that allow them to thrive in the real world, rather than the grades what really matters is the knowledge acquired and the process of acquiring good study habits and life lessons like learning that every act has consequences: If I don´t do my work I will not learn, and hence I will not get the knowledge expected.

I don’t want to take complacent attitudes and pretend that all is well. I must teach my students to recognize the reality of the problem, and teach them to assume their responsibilities. They must compete against themselves and overcome one to each one of their limitations. In this task, they need the support of their parents and teachers.

Throughout my teaching career I have learned that it is important to take your child from the point at which really is and bring it to master a skill at a time. The child must understand that it is their personal effort which push him throughout life and help him to overcome any obstacle.

Say for example a frequent case, a student comes to seventh-grade having, of course, approved sixth, but the student does not know even the multiplication tables (which are taught in third and should be fully mastered in fourth grade). That same student battle to make basic operations with integers (possibly is able to do addition and subtraction, but fails to perform multiplication and division). Supposedly it dominates these skills from fourth year. Something similar occurs with decimals and fractions, whose basic operations the child must master by the fifth year.

In the evaluation of the sixth year STAAR, the many students failed, some with scores as low as 15%. This rating is a very realistic indication of the academic level they arrive to seven grade. Every year, I apply to my students a very simple diagnostic test (only basic skills). This year they averaged less than 35%. That doesn’t worry me, from my experience with former students, I know that with the help of their parents many students have managed to overcome big limitations like this and stand out in seventh year reaching commended performance and even perfect score. But first, the student must recognize that there are academic weaknesses accumulated throughout the years and they have to convince themselves to work hard every day to overcome them. Every year, I take the decision to teach my students ALL  the math skills(from all the previous years)  they need, even though it was not my fault that they have not learned them in the previous years, but the students and parents need to do  their part with a sense of urgency. My responsibility is to teach only seven grade Math content, but I do know that my student need to know the basic skills to understand seven grade Math. Parents, you know that the time is limited, I can not teach all the basic skills your child did not learn from the previous years during seven grade class and have the also the time to teach all the seven grade Math content with has been increased in complexity lately. I am willing to review all the foundations and basic skills here in my classroom, but you and your child need to make a commitment to practice at home. We need to work together for the benefit of our children. I have developed many Math resources that have proved their efficacy throughout the years and are available in my website waiting for you and your children to practice.

Remember: Always Show Your Work!

If you show your work I can isolate and correct your mistakes and get you back on the right track.

Showing work is beneficial because you can pinpoint any errors without re-working everything.

I just want you to remind that you can ask me about any topic you need help with.