6.2.D Order rational numbers

Objective:

• Compare and order  a set of rational numbers arising from mathematical and real-world contexts (including fractions, decimals, and integers);
  • Determine equivalency; 

Lesson Plan:   6.2D  Locate, Compare and Order

Standards:

6.2D Order a set of rational numbers arising from mathematical and real-world contexts.

Review:

Compare Numbers on a Number Line

Compare Fractions on a Number Line

Vocabulary:

equal to (=), greater than (>), less than (<),  greatest to least, least to greatest,  order, compare

Guided Practice.

Guided practice of the skill (Whole Group Instruction), to practice the key concepts of the lesson, and to build students’ understanding of the content. Warm-up – Daily Review. Math videos & Skill Builders from my blog (to be completed as homework if not completed in class). 5E Model of Instructional Procedures: (Engage, Explore, Explain, Extend/Elaborate, Evaluate)

I DO… (You Watch)

You can view more of my math videos in my YouTube channel

WE DO…(Together)

YOU DO… (I watch/guide)

Hands-on, online curriculum aligned math worksheets that automatically tracks student progress.

☼   Integers Operations Worksheet

Differentiation:

Accommodations for instruction will be provided as stated on each student’s (IEP) Individual Education Plan for special education, 504, at risk, and ESL/Bilingual. Differentiation will be through small groups, visuals, use of calculators, extra time, supplemental aids and reteach if necessary.

Homework:

To be assigned. The homework will be given with STAAR formatted questions to determine any misconceptions to be addressed the next day.

Journal:

How can you plot, compare, and order rational numbers using a number line?

Students will complete a Frayer model to explain and model the strategies used to solve a word problem related to ordering fractions.

Frayer template

Exit Ticket:

Compare and Order Decimal Numbers using the Number line
1.     Place the following numbers on the number line in order from greatest to least:
                            3.789       3.79      3.785
2.    Use >, <, or = to compare the numbers.
3.    Write to explain how you solved the problem.

Student Self-Assessment Scale