6.4H Converting Measurements

Objectives:

Students will be able to compare and convert a given measurement to another unit. 

Students will use ratios as conversion factors and the identity property for multiplication to convert ratio units.

Students will understand that there are two conversion factors that translate a measurement in one unit to a corresponding measurement in another unit, and that these two conversion factors are inverses of one another.

Standards:     

6.4H Convert units within a measurement system, including the use of proportions and unit rates.

Review:

6th Grade Unpacked Math TEKS.docx   page 28

●TAKS Conversion Chart●

Notes:   

The student will understand that a ratio is a multiplicative comparison of two or more quantities. When two quantities are related proportionally, the ratio of one quantity to the other is invariant as the numerical values of both quantities change by the same factor.

We will use ratios to  find an equivalent measurement using a different unit. A conversion factor is a ratio (a fraction in which the numerator and denominator represent the same quantity, but in different units) which represents the relationship between two different units.

A conversion factor is ALWAYS equal to 1.

Performance Indicators:

• Students will be able to identify the relationships between the different units  of measurement.
  • Given a unit of measurement, students will be able to convert it to other units of measurement and will be able to use it to solve contextual problems.  

Success Criteria:

I will be able to recognize and apply the correct units to measure length, weight and volume.

I can understand and use different units of measurement in mathematical applications of daily life.

I can use proportions and unit rates to change units.

Anchor Chart:

Vocabulary:

I DO:

WE DO:           ●TAKS Conversion Chart●

YOU DO:                                 ●TAKS Conversion Chart●

●●●Measurement Quizzes link ●●●

ME05     Length 1 (Convert from inches, feet, yards, miles)

ME06     Length 2 (Convert from mm, cm, m, Km)

ME23     Length1 (Convert from inches, feet, yards using proportions)

ME09     Weight 1 (Convert from ounces, pounds, tons)

ME10     Weight 2 (Convert from milligram, gram, kilogram)

ME22     Weight 3 (Convert using proportions)

Differentiation:

Accommodations for instruction will be provided as stated on each student’s (IEP) Individual Education Plan for special education, 504, at risk, and ESL/Bilingual. Differentiation will be through small groups, visuals, use of calculators, extra time, supplemental aids and reteach if necessary.

Homework:

To be assigned.

Journal:

How can I use conversion factors to solve real-world problems involving units of length, mass, and volume?

What I learned today about conversion factors?

Create your own problem.