6.5B Real World Problems (Percent and Proportion)

Objective:

Students will be able to solve mathematical real-world problems involving ratios, proportions, and percentages in a variety of formats, to create a deeper understanding of how percentages are used in everyday life.

Students will learn about key features of percentages and how to convert them to equivalent decimals and fractions.

Students will learn how to set up and solve proportions.

Standards:

6.5(B) solve real‐world problems to find the whole given a part and the percent, to find the part given the whole and the percent, and to find the percent given the part and the whole, including the use of concrete and pictorial models.

Review:

6th Grade Unpacked Math TEKS.docx   page 31

>Ratios and Proportions Review<<

Help:

Convert Decimals, Fractions And Percent (Help)

Percent Formulas (Help)

Percent (Help)

The Proportion Method_(Help)

Vocabulary:

Percent Vocabulary

Guided Practice.

Guided practice of the skill, to practice the key concepts of the lesson, and to build students’ understanding of the content. Warm-up – Daily Review. Math videos & Skill Builders from my blog (to be completed as homework if not completed in class). 5E Model of Instructional Procedures: (Engage, Explore, Explain, Extend/Elaborate, Evaluate)

I DO… (You Watch)

You can view more of my math videos in my YouTube channel

WE DO…(Together)

YOU DO… (I watch/guide)

PE03    Percent_of_a_Number

PE04    Percent_Problems

PP08   Percents_and_Proportions

PP09   Percent_Proportion

Hands-on, online curriculum aligned math worksheets that automatically tracks student progress.

Differentiation:

Accommodations for instruction will be provided as stated on each student’s (IEP) Individual Education Plan for special education, 504, at risk, and ESL/Bilingual. Differentiation will be through small groups, visuals, use of calculators, extra time, supplemental aids and reteach if necessary.

Homework:

Students will complete a Frayer model to explain and model the strategies used to solve various word problems.

Journal:

Write about how to solve real-world problems to determine the whole given a part and the percent, to determine the part given the whole and the percent, and to determine the percent given the part and the whole including the use of concrete and pictorial models.