6.4A Additive and Multiplicative Relationships

Objective:

The students will be able to identify independent and dependent variables. The students will be able to represent and describe additive and multiplicative relationships, using multiple representations (verbal descriptions, tables, equations, and graphs). 

Standards:

6.4A Compare two rules verbally, numerically, graphically, and symbolically in the form of y = ax or y = x + a in order to differentiate between additive and multiplicative relationships.

Review:

Additive Relationships,               y = x + a

Multiplicative Relationships,     y = ax

Additive relationships mean you add the SAME number to any x-value to get the corresponding y-value.

Multiplicative relationships mean you multiply any  x-value times the SAME number to get the corresponding y-value.

Additive and Multiplicative Relationships

Algebraic Representation of Two-Variable Relationships

Unit 06 (Independent and Dependent Variables)

6th Grade Unpacked Math TEKS.docx   page 18

Vocabulary:

Guided Practice.

Guided practice of the skill, to practice the key concepts of the lesson, and to build students’ understanding of the content. Warm-up – Daily Review. Math videos & Skill Builders from my blog (to be completed as homework if not completed in class). 5E Model of Instructional Procedures: (Engage, Explore, Explain, Extend/Elaborate, Evaluate)

I DO… (You Watch)

You can view more of my math videos in my YouTube channel

WE DO…(Together)

*

YOU DO… (I watch/guide)

Hands-on, online curriculum aligned math worksheets that automatically tracks student progress.

Differentiation:

Accommodations for instruction will be provided as stated on each student’s (IEP) Individual Education Plan for special education, 504, at risk, and ESL/Bilingual. Differentiation will be through small groups, visuals, use of calculators, extra time, supplemental aids and reteach if necessary.

Homework:

To be assigned.

Journal:

• Describe a real-world situation in which you experience dependent and independent quantities.
  • How are the independent and dependent quantities related?
  • How does a graph show the relationship between 2 variables, x and y?
  • How can you express a relationship between two quantities in different ways?
  • How does a graph show the relationship between 2 variables x and y?